History

Scented Soil

Around the year 1700, in the Sierra de la Giganta, among palm trees on the banks of a stream in the San Javier ranch,...

A Journey to the Middle of the Peninsula

[dropcap]A[/dropcap]bout halfway up the peninsula and just across the border between the states of Baja California Sur and Baja California, lies the entrance to one of the largest and best preserved of the 176 Protected Areas in Mexico, with more than 9,650 square miles: El Valle de los Cirios.

Our Lady of Loreto Conchó

Loreto was the capital of the Californias until the year 1776. At one time, it was the civilian, military and religious center of South...

Malarrimo

[dropcap]M[/dropcap]alarrimo is a gateway to the unexpected. Among the hundreds of secluded beaches on the Pacific side of Southern California, Malarrimo is the quintessential deserted shore. Misty dawns break over seaweed-ridden sands that are frequented by lonely coyotes looking for clams, crustaceans and fish stranded by the surge of a wave.

Isla del Carmen

The history of Isla del Carmen basically revolves around a salt deposit located at the north end of the island in an area called Bahia Salinas. The salt saga began in 1698 when the Jesuits arrived to establish the mission of Loreto. The missionaries discovered the area by accident and began stocking up on salt for themselves, as well as future Jesuit missions as they were established.

The Great Magdalena Bay

A tour of the islands and the coast of the great bay introduces us to a landscape where history and ecology come together. Discovered by Captain Francisco de Ulloa (1539-1540), one can imagine the temporary shelter he took in Bahia de Almejas, which he called Santa Catalina lagoon.

Subscribe

Popular articles