12 months before
- Make a list of priorities and decide on the style of wedding you want. This will help you create a budget.
- Choose a range of dates and make a list of options for the venue. Once you’ve booked and signed the contract for the site, you will have also determined the exact date.
- Develop the budget with your spouse-to-be and family. Decide how the cost of the event will be divided.
- Choose the photographer, videographer, caterer, minister, decorator, and musicians. Consider the advantages of hiring an event coordinator and the services offered by the venue of your choice.
- Make a preliminary guest list.
- Decide who will be part of the wedding party and let them know. This will be your support group and you should let them know in advance of your plans. Especially if you are traveling.
- Book flights for your wedding and honeymoon destination and collect the necessary travel documents.
- Plan the rehearsal party and send notifications to your guests to save the wedding date. You can consider announcing your gift registry now.
- Choose and buy wedding rings.
- Begin the search for a wedding dress and accessories.
6-8 months before
- Make a selection of music for the ceremony and reception. Consider developing a list of songs that you DO NOT want played that day.
- Select attire for the wedding party.
- Make a guest list for the bridal shower and give it to whoever is in charge of organizing the event. (Include guest e-mail or telephone)
- If you have not already, communicate your gift registry for the bridal shower and wedding.
- Decide with your partner whether you will have a church or civil wedding.
- Finish the guest list.
- Select and order wedding invitations.
3-5 months before
- Determine the decorations for the event.
- Mark which guests have sent RSVPs and contact those who have not.
- Decide on the wedding and rehearsal menu.
- Select the type of wedding cake.
- Develop the program for the ceremony and reception. Provide it to the minister and event coordinator. If your budget allows, plan a site inspection beforehand.
- Provide wedding instructions. Include all the details and memories you want to capture.
- Contact suppliers at the destination to avoid traveling with excess baggage and delicate items.
- Take the pre-marital course, if necessary.
- Attend the bridal shower.
1-2 months before
- Deliver invitations.
- Try out your hairstyle and makeup. If you plan to cut or dye your hair, this is the time to do it.
- Write your vows.
- Try on your dress and make final adjustments.
- Confirm reservations for the activities and restaurants on your honeymoon.
- Confirm details with your coordinator or suppliers.
Two weeks before
- Make a list of everything you need to pack for the wedding and honeymoon.
- Contact the destination shuttle service or car rental for reservations.
- Determine the time you want to meet with the photographer and videographer and what you would like in the video. Make a list of photos and footage you want and deliver it to them.
- Give the DJ the music selection.
- Give the wedding coordinator your number of confirmed guests. Do not forget to include the musicians and photographer if you plan to include them and ask how many extra servings will be prepared.
- Plan the reception´s seating chart and check the correct spelling of names.
- Have one last bachelorette night out with your girlfriends.
Three days before
- Determine where everyone will be located during the ceremony.
- Reconfirm details with your coordinator, if necessary, make last minute adjustments.
- Deliver or request welcome amenities for your guests.
- Confirm your arrival time and airport with the rental car company.
- Groom: attend to your final suit fitting and make sure your groomsmen attend to theirs.
One day before
- Provide the coordinator and suppliers with a contact number for emergencies. Give a dependable person the authority to make last minute decisions on the wedding day.
- Provide the photographer with a contact person who knows who is who for photographs.
- If necessary, give the wedding license to the minister.
- Hold the rehearsal dinner. This is a good time to deliver special gifts to participants.
- Give the wedding rings to the best man.
- Give the tip envelops to whomever you have choose to distribute them after the ceremony.
- Determine in advance who will return the cars, suits or other rented items, if necessary.